One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small reddish beetle that infests tobacco and other stored products.Also called tobacco beetle
- ‘Adult cigarette beetles are yellowish- to reddish-brown, oval-shaped, and about 1/10 inch long.’
- ‘The cigarette beetle feeds on a variety of stored products such as paprika, chilli, and dried dog food.’
- ‘If cigarette beetles are found in stored tobacco, tobacco may be fumigated.’
- ‘These holes, which were caused by the application of the tax stamp using heat, probably allowed entry of cigarette beetle adults into the packs.’
- ‘The first step in control of the cigarette beetle is to find the source of the infestation.’
- ‘Drugstore beetle larvae are not as ‘hairy’ as the cigarette beetle larvae.’
- ‘The cigarette beetle has also been recorded attacking leather, furniture stuffing, and bookbinders paste.’
- ‘Drugstore beetles and cigarette beetles are about 1/8 inch long, oval, and brown.’
- ‘The cigarette beetle appears to prefer tobacco, but will develop on wheat flower, seeds, and many other dried plant materials.’
- ‘Package and chewing tobaccos, cigars, and cigarettes that have been attacked by cigarette beetles have holes eaten through the tobacco.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.