One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Tight trousers worn by people from South Asia, typically with a kameez or kurta.
- ‘Many trendier brides are also opting for churidar kurta as their bridal wear.’
- ‘Apart from the saris, cotton churidars that cost Rs.474 are displayed.’
- ‘One of the specialities this year is the large number of ‘buy one take one free’ offers for jeans and shirts, churidars and salwars, sarees and kidswear, in practically every nook and corner of the city.’
- ‘Babi, a city-based designer, says embellished lowers, including salwars and churidars are in vogue in the city.’
- ‘The line includes asymmetrical tops, narrow trousers, churidar trousers, corsets and sherwanis with a contemporary feel.’
- ‘This is in spite of the fact that the sale of salwar kameez, churidars and its dress material has eaten into the saree sales.’
- ‘Around 50 of the stalls displayed embroidered churidars, sarees, bedspreads, pillow covers, handkerchiefs, bags, foot wear, dry flowers, candles and paintings.’
- ‘Some of the other handloom products on display are window curtains, dhotis, shirts, bedspreads, and churidars.’
- ‘Come summer, cotton sarees have a lot of takers despite the increasing preference for churidars.’
- ‘For traditional ceremonies, such as weddings, the sherwani and churidar, a calf-length tunic and tight-fitting trousers, are often seen, accompanied by a turban.’
- ‘For convenience and ease of use, most modern women opt for churidars and salwars, with matching dupattas to give them the stylish look.’
- ‘Among the handloom items, sarees from Manipur, Bengal and Maharastra, churidar sets, and ‘chikan’ embroidery dresses are selling like hotcakes.’
- ‘Saris, lehengas and churidar kurtas in traditional Indian colours and styling were on the ramp.’
- ‘The groom might wear the traditional North Indian dress of a churidar kameez, or tight leggings made of silk or fine cotton, and a long shirt, or opt for a western-style suit.’
- ‘On formal occasions, the sherwani (long jacket), tight trousers known as churidar, and a turban are worn.’
- ‘Mostly into Indian wear, the designs here range from the popular three-piece salwar kameez to Indo-western styles and churidar kameez.’
- ‘It was time for faded jeans, psychedelic T-shirts, ethnic churidars, synthetic sarees, and of course, the formal coat and tie.’
- ‘It showcases two main sections of churidars and sarees.’
- ‘Handloom sarees from Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and West Bengal, churidars with mirror works and chowli designs from Rajasathan are other attractions.’
- ‘There are ready-made shirts, churidars, bed sheets, spun-silk shirts, T-shirts, and carpets, among other things.’
From Hindi cūṛīdār ‘having a series of gathered rows’ (i.e. at the bottom of the trouser legs, traditionally worn too long and tucked up).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.