One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Tight trousers worn by people from South Asia, typically with a kameez or kurta.
- ‘One of the specialities this year is the large number of ‘buy one take one free’ offers for jeans and shirts, churidars and salwars, sarees and kidswear, in practically every nook and corner of the city.’
- ‘Apart from the saris, cotton churidars that cost Rs.474 are displayed.’
- ‘For convenience and ease of use, most modern women opt for churidars and salwars, with matching dupattas to give them the stylish look.’
- ‘Come summer, cotton sarees have a lot of takers despite the increasing preference for churidars.’
- ‘Saris, lehengas and churidar kurtas in traditional Indian colours and styling were on the ramp.’
- ‘Mostly into Indian wear, the designs here range from the popular three-piece salwar kameez to Indo-western styles and churidar kameez.’
- ‘It was time for faded jeans, psychedelic T-shirts, ethnic churidars, synthetic sarees, and of course, the formal coat and tie.’
- ‘Babi, a city-based designer, says embellished lowers, including salwars and churidars are in vogue in the city.’
- ‘Around 50 of the stalls displayed embroidered churidars, sarees, bedspreads, pillow covers, handkerchiefs, bags, foot wear, dry flowers, candles and paintings.’
- ‘The line includes asymmetrical tops, narrow trousers, churidar trousers, corsets and sherwanis with a contemporary feel.’
- ‘There are ready-made shirts, churidars, bed sheets, spun-silk shirts, T-shirts, and carpets, among other things.’
- ‘Among the handloom items, sarees from Manipur, Bengal and Maharastra, churidar sets, and ‘chikan’ embroidery dresses are selling like hotcakes.’
- ‘On formal occasions, the sherwani (long jacket), tight trousers known as churidar, and a turban are worn.’
- ‘It showcases two main sections of churidars and sarees.’
- ‘For traditional ceremonies, such as weddings, the sherwani and churidar, a calf-length tunic and tight-fitting trousers, are often seen, accompanied by a turban.’
- ‘Many trendier brides are also opting for churidar kurta as their bridal wear.’
- ‘The groom might wear the traditional North Indian dress of a churidar kameez, or tight leggings made of silk or fine cotton, and a long shirt, or opt for a western-style suit.’
- ‘Handloom sarees from Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and West Bengal, churidars with mirror works and chowli designs from Rajasathan are other attractions.’
- ‘Some of the other handloom products on display are window curtains, dhotis, shirts, bedspreads, and churidars.’
- ‘This is in spite of the fact that the sale of salwar kameez, churidars and its dress material has eaten into the saree sales.’
From Hindi cūṛīdār ‘having a series of gathered rows’ (i.e. at the bottom of the trouser legs, traditionally worn too long and tucked up).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.