One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the Christian Church; ecclesiastical.‘views about biblical and churchly authority’‘an exquisite album of churchly, ambient songs’
priestly, ministerial, clerical, ecclesiastic, prelatic, canonical, parsonical, pastoralView synonyms
- ‘Our own churchly figurehead stands head and shoulders above most of his ecclesiastical contemporaries and many senior politicians.’
- ‘Meanwhile on the churchly front, he served as canonical counselor and defender of the first Episcopal women priests irregularly ordained.’
- ‘His writing turns surprisingly dry and stiff, describing confessional theology essentially as a debating tournament about churchly forms.’
- ‘At a time when most Christian music was staid and churchly, they started a Christian rock band that soon was being tapped for a national record deal.’
- ‘His churchly and scholarly contributions were recognized by his election to the moderatorship of the Free Church Federal Council.’
- ‘He has wanted to lead theology out of what he perceived as its post-World War II isolationist occupation with purely churchly questions.’
- ‘Those of us who appeal to biblical or churchly authority would do well to admit the ways in which our formulations of these appeals differ from our premodern forebears.’
- ‘That fact alone should arouse our interest: when have any of us found the names of theologians or other such churchly types in a tourist brochure?’
- ‘He refused to countenance all the signs of worldly glory and churchly vainglory.’
- ‘Nineteenth-century pietism stressed individual encounters with the divine and denigrated churchly, corporate forms of devotion as Catholic paganizations of the gospel.’
- ‘Her celibate, churchly brother was charged with guiding her beloved John into the priesthood.’
- ‘The organ of today is devotional, churchly, vital and filled with tonal charm.’
- ‘Once I do get to leave the day job, I usually head to the church job, or do churchly duties at home.’
- ‘One of the most interesting puzzles in the sociology of religion is why Americans are so much more religious as well as more churchly than Europeans.’
- ‘Unlike his brothers, he was a freelance artist with no churchly sinecure to guarantee him income.’
Old English circlic, cyrclic, from church.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.