One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounthe Church Militant
The whole body of living Christian believers, regarded as striving to combat evil on earth.‘it is now time for the Church Militant to denounce antibiotics’
- ‘This miniature, illustrating another psalm for the sons of Core, shows David before a crowned female figure, symbol of the Church Militant and then Triumphant.’
- ‘In the order of Divine Providence, salvation is given to man in the Church: membership in the Church Triumphant is given through membership in the Church Militant.’
- ‘Members of the Church Militant are adept at all combat skills, including leading troops on the field of battle.’
- ‘Needless to say, today's Church Militant is plagued with indifference.’
- ‘Our Lord Jesus equipped the Church Militant with two potent weapons on that Maundy Thursday.’
Mid 16th century: contrasted with the Church Triumphant in heaven.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.