One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly among British Asians) underpants.
- ‘According to Arfaan Khan, a British Pakistani linguist, a number of Hindi words such as chuddies are currently being imported from the Indian subcontinent.’
- ‘Prince Charles, the heir apparent to the British crown, told a dinner thrown for 200 Asian guests at Windsor Castle that the word chuddies - Indian word for underwear - is here to stay in the English language.’
- ‘From the BBC Comedy show, ‘Goodness Gracious Me’, comes the word chuddies, meaning underpants.’
- ‘The show is known for sending up British and Asian cultures, with catchphrases such as ‘Kiss my chuddies!’’
- ‘Mahal says: ‘Thanks to British-Asian media, the word chuddies is now widely known in the UK.‘’
1990s: Anglo-Indian, perhaps an alteration of churidars.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.