One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thick-bodied European river fish with a grey-green back and white underparts.
"Leuciscus cephalus", family "Cyprinidae"
- ‘Of these, bluehead chubs and creek chubs were the two most abundant species in the creek.’
- ‘The field data for bluehead chubs suggest four prominent features of fish movement.’
- ‘There are also chub, ide, rudd, grass carp, cat fish, tench and specimen carp on site in the various waters.’
- ‘Other species caught included a handful of pike up to about five pounds in weight and a single chub, plus minnows and bullheads too numerous to count.’
- ‘In the Great Lakes region, alewives, smelt, sculpin and chubs make up a large portion of the lake trout diet.’
- ‘Good chub and barbel being caught from various stretches of the river.’
- ‘For bluehead chubs and creek chubs we tested the hypotheses that probability of movement varied with size and growth using probit regression (Sokal and Rohlf 1981; 0 = stay, 1 = move), pooling data over all months.’
- ‘The Butterfly Pond is producing good mixed bags with roach, rudd, chub and perch all being caught.’
- ‘Several other attempts with various paste baits that had all worked well for river chub all failed as carp took the bait in every case.’
- ‘After a long dry spring spawning was completed early by most river fish and bream, barbel and chub should all be fighting fit.’
- ‘Most species of river fish will be surveyed including trout, grayling, dace, barbel, chub and pike.’
- ‘Nine thousand young stickleback, roach, dace, chub and eels died along an 11 km stretch of the beck.’
- ‘Finally, we analyzed the spatial spread of bluehead chubs and creek chubs through time.’
- ‘Golden eye or yellowtail grunts, chubs or scads would move unhurriedly across, changing direction with uncanny synchronisation.’
- ‘Fish of this size have been caught by anglers targeting the chub and also by anglers fishing for the sea trout.’
- ‘The fish might be bigger down South, but a chub is a chub, whatever the river.’
- ‘The asp is also a much more aggressive fish than the chub.’
- ‘At the close he had taken 36 lb 8oz of small carp, ide, orfe, chub and skimmers.’
- ‘‘We want to see if we can reduce the non-native trout population through fishing, and if so, how that changes populations of humpback chubs and other native fish in the river,’ Gloss said.’
- ‘The average size of the chub and dace is fairly small in the Darwen itself, but there are plenty of them.’
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.