Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thick-bodied European river fish with a grey-green back and white underparts.
- ‘Of these, bluehead chubs and creek chubs were the two most abundant species in the creek.’
- ‘The field data for bluehead chubs suggest four prominent features of fish movement.’
- ‘Finally, we analyzed the spatial spread of bluehead chubs and creek chubs through time.’
- ‘Other species caught included a handful of pike up to about five pounds in weight and a single chub, plus minnows and bullheads too numerous to count.’
- ‘Good chub and barbel being caught from various stretches of the river.’
- ‘‘We want to see if we can reduce the non-native trout population through fishing, and if so, how that changes populations of humpback chubs and other native fish in the river,’ Gloss said.’
- ‘The fish might be bigger down South, but a chub is a chub, whatever the river.’
- ‘The average size of the chub and dace is fairly small in the Darwen itself, but there are plenty of them.’
- ‘Golden eye or yellowtail grunts, chubs or scads would move unhurriedly across, changing direction with uncanny synchronisation.’
- ‘After a long dry spring spawning was completed early by most river fish and bream, barbel and chub should all be fighting fit.’
- ‘At the close he had taken 36 lb 8oz of small carp, ide, orfe, chub and skimmers.’
- ‘Fish of this size have been caught by anglers targeting the chub and also by anglers fishing for the sea trout.’
- ‘The asp is also a much more aggressive fish than the chub.’
- ‘Most species of river fish will be surveyed including trout, grayling, dace, barbel, chub and pike.’
- ‘In the Great Lakes region, alewives, smelt, sculpin and chubs make up a large portion of the lake trout diet.’
- ‘Nine thousand young stickleback, roach, dace, chub and eels died along an 11 km stretch of the beck.’
- ‘The Butterfly Pond is producing good mixed bags with roach, rudd, chub and perch all being caught.’
- ‘Several other attempts with various paste baits that had all worked well for river chub all failed as carp took the bait in every case.’
- ‘There are also chub, ide, rudd, grass carp, cat fish, tench and specimen carp on site in the various waters.’
- ‘For bluehead chubs and creek chubs we tested the hypotheses that probability of movement varied with size and growth using probit regression (Sokal and Rohlf 1981; 0 = stay, 1 = move), pooling data over all months.’
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.