Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An instrument for recording time with great accuracy.
timepiece, timekeeper, timerView synonyms
- ‘With the advent of affordable and reliable chronographs, the cumbersome ballistic pendulum was relegated to the scrap heap of history.’
- ‘Sometimes they were called chronographs but, since this implied a written record of the time, the term was not correct.’
- ‘Most chronographs give you some statistical data, such as standard deviation: even though standard deviation may not be the best guide, it allows a reasonable guess.’
- ‘Fairly late in our 50-year cycle, electronics entered our world in the form of relatively inexpensive chronographs and digital powder scales.’
- ‘The chronograph printed out boringly similar speeds.’
- 1.1A stopwatch.‘a precision water-resistant chronograph’
- ‘A chronograph, a countdown timer and dual-time zone readings flesh out its functions.’
- ‘The company has been providing high-quality timers and chronographs for well over two decades.’
- ‘For example, the Datalink comes with a chronograph, countdown timer, interval timer, multiple alarms and even a notepad.’
- ‘The company markets five ranges of precision time pieces including chronographs with more than 31 individual models available.’
- ‘The company, a world leader in sports watches and chronographs, has been named the Official Timekeeper and Scorer of the Indy Racing League and the Indianapolis 500 - Mile Race.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.