Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A reddish gaseous layer immediately above the photosphere of the sun or another star which, together with the corona, constitutes its outer atmosphere.
- ‘Prominences, flares, plages, and other features of the solar chromosphere can be observed in hydrogen light.’
- ‘For decades astronomers labored to get good photographs of the chromosphere, and in particular its spectrum.’
- ‘But the hotter hydrogen in the chromosphere and corona above it is madly emitting at the same wavelength.’
- ‘The chromosphere is the first layer of atmosphere above the sun's surface layer.’
- ‘Solar flares appear as sudden, intense flashes in the chromosphere of the Sun.’
Mid 19th century: from chromo- ‘colour’+ sphere.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.