Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A thin layer of chromium, electroplated or otherwise applied as a coating to another metal.
- ‘Zinc plate prevents corrosion in two ways: mechanically and chemically, chromium plate passivates the zinc surface and prevents oxidation.’
- ‘Few people realize that the chromium plate process usually involves a pre-plate of nickel.’
- ‘In the specific case of the bath shown in Sample 3, there is no determinable limit to the thickness of the chromium plate which can be achieved.’
- ‘The dull or matte chromium plate will not be quite as hard as the bright, but will be far more durable under heavy contact loading.’
- ‘This hard chromium plate is ideal as a volume production process; repeatable, zero defect, just in time, the ultimate manufacturing wear-resistant treatment.’
- 1.1Metal with a coating of chromium.
- ‘Henry Brown, a chemist who helped make the American Dream a gleaming reality by finding new ways of keeping chromium plate bright and shiny, died on March 15 at his home in Palo Alto, Calif.’
- ‘Heat treatment of the chromium plate causes formation of alloys of iron and chromium at the interface, elimination of cracks with resultant tremendous increase in corrosion resistance of the plated surface, and softening of the plate with increase in its ductility.’
Cover (something) with a thin layer of chromium.‘pure copper, chromium-plated to prevent oxidation’
- ‘In 1950 he moved to Bally, Pennsylvania, where in 1952 he designed the Bertoia chair, which features an elegant moulded mesh of chromium-plated steel wire.’
- ‘Aluminum die-castings have the advantage of lightweight, but zinc is more economical to chromium plate.’
- ‘The gun has a chromium-plated barrel and semiautomatic lifting breech block with integrated 32-round standard primer magazine.’
- ‘Adding insult to injury, new materials were introduced, notably aluminum and chromium-plated brass and other metals, which were considerably less expensive than silver and needed no maintenance.’
- ‘The leather chair - one of the main items of furniture in Gray's apartment on the rue Bonaparte in Paris - is supported by her favoured chromium-plated steel tubing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.