Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of chromium with a higher valency, usually three.Compare with chromous
- ‘Digestibility was estimated using chromic oxide as an external marker.’
- ‘In another technique, the scientists give the cows gel capsules of chromic oxide, a harmless substance that passes undigested through the animals.’
- ‘The premix was added to the mixed diet so that 0.6% of the diet was premix and the diet contained 0.055% chromic oxide.’
- ‘Colored products use iron oxides, chromic oxide, and various organic pigments.’
- ‘Chromium additions impart improved resistance to oxidizing media such as nitric and chromic acids.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.