Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘There is also the legendary Trident badge that takes pride of place on the nose, framed by the imposing chromed grille.’
- ‘The review vehicle was tricked out with all the chromed visuals: bull-bar, rear corner protectors, extended door sills, and the like.’
- ‘Outside, green plastic garden furniture, creaking in the sun, each empty table complete with at least one crumb from a previous occupant and a chromed ashtray not quite empty.’
- ‘Running along the length of the sides are polished, chromed brass panels which in conjunction with some hard foam strips aid in creating a plenum style shroud above the fins as well as give the unit a little ‘bling’.’
- ‘But I've never liked chromed plastic - one material pretending to be another.’
- ‘The large, egg-crate, chromed grille is somewhat overstated but still appealing.’
- ‘It's made of butted chromed steel, features a ball-bearing headset for 360-degree rotation and a quick-release skewer for roll changes.’
- ‘The interior is gorgeous, complete with chromed switches and real wood and beautiful curves.’
- ‘With Norma ammunition, a Type 99 short rifle in good condition with its peep sights and excellent chromed bore is capable of 1.5 inches at 100 yards.’
- ‘Using the spokes of the center disk as a backbone, wheel makers are experimenting with stainless steel and painted plastic attachments that can approximate the high-end look of machined or chromed aluminum.’
- ‘The interior is like something from the pages of a Vogue home furnishings magazine with soft, muted greys making up the fascia, split with a polished grey birch decorative inlay and a chromed and leathered bespoke interior.’
- ‘Some anglers like to use Killer gear, consisting of a chromed tube pirk and a couple of droppers fitted up with muppets, usually baited with a whole Calamari squid or side of mackerel.’
- ‘The white seat shell and base are made of fibreglass; they are connected to each other with a chromed steel spring and rubber dampers.’
- ‘A crisply elegant natural or lacquered birch seat is supported by a thin chromed steel frame.’
- ‘Wheelskins were invented in the late 1990s to provide an inexpensive way to put brilliant chromed plastic covers on styled wheels.’
- ‘A forlorn pair of chromed handle bars stuck incongruously out from under the massive front roller.’
- ‘These were originally brass and were chromed, fitted with extra rubber seals and now protrude through specially drilled holes in the top plate.’
- ‘The accessory bay, located an inch below the upper panel door, features blue LEDs on either side of a chromed roll-up door.’
- ‘I often see parallels at the dragstrip: the racer with polished valve covers and bad valve springs, or the dragster with chromed parts everywhere and leaking shock absorbers.’
- ‘The mirror finish chromed metal base and high gloss tabletop enhance its beauty, making it perfect for game rooms, the bar, the kitchen or anywhere else you can imagine.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.