Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Chromium plate as a decorative or protective finish on motor-vehicle fittings and other objects.as modifier ‘a chrome bumper’
- ‘There are several polished chrome and leather fittings for the bathroom including shelf brackets, towel loops, cord-pulls and soap dishes.’
- ‘The shower room has a quarry tiled floor with deep blue inlaid mosaic tiling and chrome fittings, while the main bedroom has an en suite bathroom decorated in similar style.’
- ‘A complete set of polished or satin chrome fittings can cost anything from €100 to €350.’
- ‘He headed off on a chrome bicycle towards St Peter's Street.’
- ‘Austin's father owned a 1974 Mustang with a glossy black finish and chrome highlights.’
- ‘Materials and finishes include pewter, silk steel, sparkling chrome and brushed stainless steel.’
- ‘Modelled on the American diner of the 1950s, the chrome and Formica interior has become a classic in its own right.’
- ‘Made in a multitude of styles and configurations, they're finished in chrome, platinum, matte platinum, and brass.’
- ‘Both the bathroom and en suite are just as modern, with crisp white and chrome fittings, and exposed wooden flooring.’
- ‘At the Farnsworth House the two bathrooms, in cool contrast, have pristine travertine floors and walls and chrome plumbing fittings.’
- ‘He was hosting a children's circus skills workshop on August 15 when the chrome unicycle, worth several hundred pounds, was stolen from the fairground in Station Park.’
- ‘The steering wheel, automatic transmission selector and handbrake are leather-wrapped and door pulls are finished in satin chrome.’
- ‘This compact case contains fine-tip cuticle scissors, a cuticle pusher, a stainless-steel nail file and a chrome nail clipper.’
- ‘The most noticeable change is to the famous seven-slot grille, now finished in polished chrome and incorporating a pair of fog lights while larger, protruding side sills provide a wider stance.’
- ‘The tiled bathrooms have been finished with chrome fittings and each apartment has a modern, individually designed fitted kitchen with extractor unit.’
- ‘Other options include brushed or polished bronze, brushed brass, chrome, stainless steel finishes, and two types of gates.’
- ‘Tires are available on aluminum wheels with a choice of brushed or chrome finish.’
- ‘The furniture is available in nine different stains with a polished chrome, matt chrome or black finish on the under carriage frame.’
- ‘The body is all steel and has the original chrome bumpers, grille, and mirrors.’
- ‘The magazines are particularly well made, and finished in bright chrome.’
- ‘The home accents are embellished with an antique effect with the help of a variety of plating like bronze, silver, nickel, chrome, pewter and black nickel.’
- 1.1as modifier Denoting compounds or alloys of chromium.‘chrome dyes’
- ‘Many chrome dyes are normal acid azo dyes containing hydroxyl or amino substituents in the ortho position to the azo linkage.’
- 1.2short for chrome yellow
Early 19th century: from French, from Greek khrōma ‘colour’ (some chromium compounds having brilliant colours).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.