One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small white-flowered winter-blooming hellebore, grown as a houseplant.
- ‘Do plant out your Christmas roses and add Bergenias and chives.’
- ‘Despite its name, the Christmas rose, Helleborus niger, for example, generally flowers from January to March with white flowers often tinged with pink or green and dark green leathery leaves.’
- ‘This problem is caused by a fungal disease called helleborus leaf spot, which often attacks Christmas roses.’
- ‘The flowers of the Christmas rose are characterized by a showy, white or rose, perianth whose, usually five, elements are mostly classified as sepals.’
- ‘Hellebore Known as Christmas rose, a poisonous plant used as a purgative, in the treatment of dropsy and as an abortifacient.’
2South Africananother term for Christmas flower
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.