One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The day or the evening before Christmas Day, 24 December.
- ‘Strolling carolers and music from a gold-leaf piano enliven holiday teas and a Christmas Eve brunch.’
- ‘This one occurred on a Christmas Eve a long time ago.’
- ‘So I prepared a Christmas Eve service that was very different and presented it to my supervisor a few days later.’
- ‘Now it's done; and going along to church for Evening Prayer reminded me suddenly of a Christmas Eve when I was quite new here.’
- ‘The Pueblo crew traveled to an air base west of Seoul, then an aircraft whisked them to Midway Island, and finally to San Diego for a Christmas Eve reunion with their families.’
- ‘Should you be invited to share a Christmas Eve with a Bulgarian family, note that the traditional meal is vegetarian, as the night represents the last of the ‘Posti’ pre-Christmas fast.’
- ‘One local publican said the weekend had been a ‘bonanza’ for business, with every day akin to a Christmas Eve.’
- ‘The Marines opened up their day with a formation run, I understand, but then the rest of the day was very much concentrated into celebrating this Christmas Eve.’
- ‘Several years ago at a Christmas Eve worship service, each member of the congregation lit a candle in a completely darkened sanctuary while singing ‘Silent Night.’’
- ‘One great memory I have of Christmas is walking up and down Tullow Street on a Christmas Eve.’
- ‘A Limerick woman became the 398th person killed on the roads this year when she died in a Christmas Eve crash.’
- ‘On this Christmas Eve, as millions the world over celebrate his birth, top religious authorities debate the meaning and the message of Jesus's life and death.’
- ‘It is apparently clear that some of those scheduled to be on the flights did not appear; ordinarily, one would think that the no-show rate on a Christmas Eve flight from Paris to Los Angeles would be extremely low.’
- ‘Indonesian intelligence sources believe he was plotting a Christmas Eve massacre in churches, clubs and hotels.’
- ‘More than three times the number of usual parishioners packed St Peters Church at Greenough while St Catherine's Anglican Church was also well attended for a Christmas Eve service.’
- ‘After a month of buying trees, decorations, gifts and food, wine is usually the last thing on your mind, leading to a Christmas Eve dash round your local supermarket or off-licence.’
- ‘Lakeland Church is not having a Christmas service but a Christmas Eve one.’
- ‘Friends and neighbours of the family remembered them at a Christmas Eve church service in the village.’
- ‘He faces the death penalty or life in prison for killing a local police officer, who was shot 11 times and run over when responding to a Christmas Eve robbery of a sporting goods store.’
- ‘And the pope, we're told, kept up his full, vigorous schedule this Christmas Eve, despite his frail health.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.