Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The day on which the festival of Christmas is celebrated, 25 December.
- ‘On Christmas Day, there will be Holy Communion in Boyle at 10 am and at 11.30 am in Taunagh Parish Church, Riverstown.’
- ‘We don't want racing on Christmas Day or even Good Friday.’
- ‘Elsewhere, the poet mentions a painting that is a Christmas Day gift.’
- ‘They train on Christmas Day and play on Boxing Day.’
- ‘A neighbour has been hailed a lifesaver after rescuing a young girl from a Christmas Day blaze and ending up in hospital.’
- ‘Hints of the coming crisis emerge as the families enjoy a Christmas Day gathering at the brothers’ jointly owned luxury beach house.’
- ‘On Christmas Day 1999 he was inducted as Parish Priest by Bishop Thomas Finnegan.’
- ‘I think that taking players away from the family on a Christmas Day is a bit harsh.’
- ‘He also praised the work of St. Joseph's Football Club who raised money by holding a Christmas Day swim, which helped fund the children's visit.’
- ‘I hope they are going to have as miserable a Christmas Day as I am.’
- ‘What a Christmas Day it will be with treats and treasures for all.’
- ‘Besides Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Easter, Panamanian Americans celebrate the Independence Day of Panama on November 3.’
- ‘A man has been jailed for a Christmas Day knife attack on the mother of his child.’
- ‘For Antony, his mother and the rest of his family it was a Christmas Day spent like many before.’
- ‘Buried in Philadelphia, he died there on Christmas Day, 1917, and was laid to rest in Holy Cross Cemetery in Section 12, Range 2, Lot 7, Grave 1.’
- ‘An ex-convict who knifed his dad after a Christmas Day drinking session is behind bars for 21 months - and was warned by a judge to stay away from him in future.’
- ‘I turned around slowly to get back to work, a little embarrassed for the tears in my eyes, and there was a group of my co-workers, one with a box of tissues, which she passed around to each nurse who worked a Christmas Day she will never forget.’
- ‘The Mint is closed on Christmas Day and Good Friday.’
- ‘And so a Christmas Day of abstention was born.’
- ‘The Old Montreal homeless shelter will be having their Christmas mass on Dec.24 at 8 p.m. at the shelter and a Christmas Day meal served at noon.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.