Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A South American cactus with flattened segmented stems and red, pink, or white flowers, grown as a houseplant.
- ‘Every fall, my Christmas cactus displays a spectacular profusion of blooms on a covered patio in San Mateo, California.’
- ‘While poinsettia is the most popular, a Christmas cactus in full bloom is a great gift and easy to care for once the flowers have faded.’
- ‘You'll be glad to hear that my Christmas cacti are now dripping with pink buds and the geraniums on my frost-free balcony continue to bloom spectacularly.’
- ‘The best flowers to give at Christmas time are orchids, holly, poinsettias, and the Christmas cactus as well as any red flower.’
- ‘And remember to get your poinsettias and your Thanksgiving and Christmas cacti ready for well-timed holiday color.’
So named because it flowers at about the northern midwinter.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.