Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A police station or jail.
- ‘I filed a complaint at the Shah Alam police chowki and when Sonia came here, I gave her a written statement as well’ says Jannatbibi.’
- ‘The water body opposite the police chowki had a good mix of birds.’
- ‘Several times the complainant approached the Ramgarh police chowki and each time a compromise was arrived at.’
- ‘I frequently visited two police stations and met officers and constables there as well as in the chowkis.’
2A low wooden seat or stool.‘participants in the conference will be seated on chowkis’
- ‘I was made to sit on a chowki covered with a velvet red cloth adorned with a yellow gold edges curiously called a ‘masala’.’
- ‘In the courtyard my meal was laid out covered with a tray on a chowki and a neighbor woman sat near it waiting for me.’
From Hindi caukī (see chokey).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.