One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A police station or jail.
- ‘I frequently visited two police stations and met officers and constables there as well as in the chowkis.’
- ‘The water body opposite the police chowki had a good mix of birds.’
- ‘I filed a complaint at the Shah Alam police chowki and when Sonia came here, I gave her a written statement as well’ says Jannatbibi.’
- ‘Several times the complainant approached the Ramgarh police chowki and each time a compromise was arrived at.’
2A low wooden seat or stool.‘participants in the conference will be seated on chowkis’
- ‘In the courtyard my meal was laid out covered with a tray on a chowki and a neighbor woman sat near it waiting for me.’
- ‘I was made to sit on a chowki covered with a velvet red cloth adorned with a yellow gold edges curiously called a ‘masala’.’
From Hindi caukī (see chokey).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.