One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A police station or jail.
- ‘The water body opposite the police chowki had a good mix of birds.’
- ‘I filed a complaint at the Shah Alam police chowki and when Sonia came here, I gave her a written statement as well’ says Jannatbibi.’
- ‘Several times the complainant approached the Ramgarh police chowki and each time a compromise was arrived at.’
- ‘I frequently visited two police stations and met officers and constables there as well as in the chowkis.’
2A low wooden seat or stool.‘participants in the conference will be seated on chowkis’
- ‘I was made to sit on a chowki covered with a velvet red cloth adorned with a yellow gold edges curiously called a ‘masala’.’
- ‘In the courtyard my meal was laid out covered with a tray on a chowki and a neighbor woman sat near it waiting for me.’
From Hindi caukī (see chokey).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.