One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich soup typically containing fish, clams, or corn with potatoes and onions.‘clam chowder’
- ‘I had the rich creamy seafood chowder with white fish, salmon chunks, slivers of green leeks, dots of carrot and a breath of lovage's celery essence.’
- ‘We wandered down Cannery Row and sat at the quayside eating clam chowder from bread bowls.’
- ‘He is making up some more of his clam chowder although it will be more like potato soup as just a few clams are left in the freezer.’
- ‘She loves to make soups, and her favorite recipe is corn chowder.’
- ‘Hints of fish and chips and saltwater taffy drift through the air, and clam chowder is ubiquitous on local menus.’
- ‘About the only traces that remained of his short occupancy were two jars of leftover fish chowder he'd prepared for friends a couple of weeks earlier, then stuck in the freezer.’
- ‘No matter where you go, if they serve clam chowder, it is described as ‘award winning.’’
- ‘The clam and mussel chowder scored five out five with my husband.’
- ‘We had an appetizer of Italian salad and clam chowder soup.’
- ‘She was also famous among friends for going into the kitchen and preparing her favourite dishes, including fried caribou or clam chowder.’
- ‘You can also choose the house specialty Rainbow soup, conch chowder, fresh lamb soup cooked New England style, or a variety of scrumptious salads.’
- ‘The meat is also dark, so does not suit a New England-style clam chowder, which is white, as well as it does the Manhattan version, which is not.’
- ‘Coastal fish and coconut milk chowders, potato-based soups, and Amazonian pepper-pot dishes are joined by chicken consommé, cream of avocado, and cow's foot and tripe soup.’
- ‘Soon Baker was loading up 14-foot trucks to the roof with cans of everything from black beans to clam chowder.’
- ‘To start, I had the clam and cod chowder with brandy cream for €4.60.’
- ‘I'm hungry and tonight they are having my favorite meal, clam and potato chowder, swordfish, and apple pie for dessert.’
- ‘Other, less heart-stopping side dishes, are the nachos with salsa or the respectable, but not great, clam chowder.’
- ‘You'll find some rather unsettling accounts of what can go wrong in a restaurant kitchen and why you should never assume that there are actually clams in your clam chowder.’
- ‘To serve, spoon some clam chowder into the center of a soup bowl, arrange some salad in the center, and place a bass fillet on top.’
- ‘Trying to find these delicacies in Manhattan, they say, is like looking for a decent bowl of clam chowder in Tibet.’
Mid 18th century: perhaps from French chaudière ‘stew pot’, related to Old Northern French caudron (see cauldron).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.