One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for chow (sense 2 of the noun)
2mass noun A Chinese preserve of ginger, orange peel, and other ingredients, in syrup.
- ‘So next time you get the craving for yams, sweet potatoes, chow chow, papaya, cassava, fresh chillis, or just want five kilos of King Edwards, give Surrey Street a try and help to maintain one of the town's greatest experiences.’
- ‘Chow chow preserves can be purchased at Chinese groceries or specialty food stores.’
- ‘Chow chow is an important ingredient when making Sri Lankan fruit cake.’
3mass noun A mixed vegetable pickle.
relish, chutney, piccalilli, sauerkrautView synonyms
- ‘Southerners serve chow chow with beans, peas and greens and as an all-purpose relish with meat, poultry and fish.’
- ‘Chow chows can be made from cabbage, green tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower, corn, onions, peppers, vinegar, salt, turmeric, and a sweetener.’
- ‘In the south, and particularly in the mountains where they grow huge heads of crisp cabbage, chow chow is a favorite relish to be eaten with a bowl of pinto beans.’
Late 18th century: pidgin English, of unknown ultimate origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.