Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for chow
2[mass noun] A Chinese preserve of ginger, orange peel, and other ingredients, in syrup.
- ‘Chow chow is an important ingredient when making Sri Lankan fruit cake.’
- ‘So next time you get the craving for yams, sweet potatoes, chow chow, papaya, cassava, fresh chillis, or just want five kilos of King Edwards, give Surrey Street a try and help to maintain one of the town's greatest experiences.’
- ‘Chow chow preserves can be purchased at Chinese groceries or specialty food stores.’
3[mass noun] A mixed vegetable pickle.
relish, chutney, chow chow, piccalilli, sauerkrautView synonyms
- ‘Southerners serve chow chow with beans, peas and greens and as an all-purpose relish with meat, poultry and fish.’
- ‘In the south, and particularly in the mountains where they grow huge heads of crisp cabbage, chow chow is a favorite relish to be eaten with a bowl of pinto beans.’
- ‘Chow chows can be made from cabbage, green tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower, corn, onions, peppers, vinegar, salt, turmeric, and a sweetener.’
Late 18th century: pidgin English, of unknown ultimate origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.