Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small group of people who enjoy special privileges or treatment, typically in a way thought to be unfair:‘why have they kept this secret to themselves, the chosen few?’
- ‘And after 10 years covering the Exchange, she is one of the chosen few who enjoy exclusive media access to the Exchange floor.’
- ‘Luke is one of the lucky chosen few, and the admission could mean realising his dreams of entering a prominent law school.’
- ‘They were special people doing a special job they loved, and you can bet they felt privileged to be among the chosen few to fly in space.’
- ‘Sandra will be introducing the evening by talking about her work as an artist but mainly on why everybody should go to local art shows, the fact that they are for everybody, not just the chosen few.’
- ‘I just kept thinking ‘I'm so blessed to be here,’ that I'm one of the chosen few to get this opportunity.’
- ‘May we answer free people, worthy of freedom and firm in the conviction that freedom is not the sole prerogative of a chosen few but the universal right of all God's children.’
- ‘Every deficiency is magnified, the feelings of loneliness, poverty, and hopelessness casting long and cold shadows over the snow in the face of the opulence of the chosen few.’
- ‘I'm afraid you will have to enjoy this one vicariously, however, as only the chosen few can partake.’
- ‘After centuries of changing political rule, however, education became the privilege of a chosen few, and was confined within the walls of the palaces.’
- ‘Until some mechanism is found for giving advice to the great mass of the population, sensible financial planning will remain the exclusive privilege of the chosen few.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.