Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly in Tibet) a Buddhist shrine, typically a saint's tomb or a monument to the Buddha.
holy place, temple, church, chapel, tabernacle, altar, sanctuary, sanctumView synonyms
- ‘In the middle of the course is a 16th-century chorten, a Buddhist monument of the kind that dots the landscape all over these parts.’
- ‘Jewels, gold statues of the Buddha and other treasures are often left as offerings in temples and chortens, many of which are in remote areas and are soft targets for criminals.’
- ‘Carrying the heavy packs on our backs, we trekked for about four hours, skirting the borders of the village and stopping occasionally at chortens to pray for good crops and the prosperity of the village.’
- ‘Larger villages may have a community temple, a community mill, and religious monuments called stupas and chortens.’
- ‘Earlier today, hiking through a narrow gorge on a trail so heavily overhung with flowering rhododendrons that it was like a secret passage, we stopped at a chorten, a primitive Buddhist shrine, in the forest.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.