One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A map which uses differences in shading, colouring, or the placing of symbols within predefined areas to indicate the average values of a particular quantity in those areas.Compare with isopleth
- ‘Care is needed in the interpretation of all maps, and choropleth maps are no exception.’
- ‘On a choropleth map, cartographic convention assigns the darkest color to the highest value.’
- ‘Because these objectives often conflict, a choropleth map that is best for one objective may not be best for others.’
- ‘They also compared a choropleth map showing the number of people living in each state with one showing population density.’
- ‘An important consideration in producing a choropleth map is the choice of classification scheme to be used.’
1930s: choropleth from Greek khōra ‘region’ + plēthos ‘multitude’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.