Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in insects) denoting sense organs which are responsive to mechanical and sound vibrations.
- ‘The anterior mVAC accommodates afferent terminals from other chordotonal organs that have retained their proprioceptive function.’
- ‘There are two main types of sensory organ, with invariant positions: external sensory organs, which can act as mechanoreceptors or chemoreceptors, and internal chordotonal organs, which monitor stretching.’
- ‘The sensory cells are organized into five external fields of campaniform sensilla and one internal chordotonal organ.’
- ‘By contrast, in embryos from the fru sat line, no ß-galactosidase-positive cells were found in the embryonic CNS, and only the chordotonal neurons in the PNS were labeled.’
- ‘Numerous homologous regulatory genes are used for development of the chordotonal organs of Drosophila and of vertebrate ears, supporting the idea that invertebrate and vertebrate ears have a common origin.’
Late 19th century: from chord + tonal.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.