One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal of the large phylum Chordata, comprising the vertebrates together with the sea squirts and lancelets.
- ‘Arthropods, chordates and annelids are the three segmented phyla in the animal kingdom.’
- ‘Into the early 1990s most researchers and evidence suggested that the deuterostomes were composed of chordates, hemichordates, echinoderms, chaetognaths, and lophophorates.’
- ‘Notochords are the axial skeleton of invertebrate chordates (cephalochordates, appendicularians, and tadpole larvae of ascidians), of agnathan fish, and of amphibian tadpoles.’
- ‘As an initial matter, the echinoderms and chordate phyla have been arranged in almost every possible phylogenetic order.’
- ‘The zooplankton include chordate jellyfishes known as ‘salps,’ which are among the fastest-growing multicellular organisms on the planet.’
Relating to or denoting chordates.
- ‘The timing of expansion coincides with proposed large-scale duplication event in the chordate lineage.’
- ‘In similar reciprocal comparisons assuming minimum evolution, the arthropod map is united with the chordate map by three transformations.’
- ‘They are small fish-like organisms in which the chordate characters are retained in the adult.’
- ‘Surely a more penetrating expedition into invertebrate diversity was required to dig up the precursors of the chordate characteristics.’
- ‘Scenarios of pituitary evolution traditionally focused on the base of the chordates consistent with the exclusively chordate nature of the pituitary structure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.