One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
mass noun, usually as modifier Kung fu or a similar martial art, especially as depicted in violent action films.‘chopsocky epics from Hong Kong’
- ‘This chopsocky comedy is definitive proof that writer/director/actor Stephen Chow is a comic genius in every sense of the word.’
- ‘But instead of hanging himself with his white belt, he signed up for acting lessons, where he honed a special brand of chopsocky comedy and deadpan delivery that has proven to be a deadly combination at the Asian box office.’
- ‘The murderous ballet of the fight scenes, the blistering beauty of the cast, the optic nerve-sizzling colors - Zhang's art-house chopsocky flick verged on visual rapture.’
- ‘A culmination of Stephen Chow's previous movies, Kung Fu Hustle raises the chopsocky comedy bar to another level.’
- ‘Longtime fans of the genre love it too, but if you're looking to initiate a reluctant friend into the percussive pleasures of chopsocky cinema, this is a fine place to start.’
1970s: perhaps humorously suggested by chop suey.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.