One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A genre of literature dealing with countryside romance in Australia.‘she's read so much chook lit now I'm surprised she's not clucking’
- ‘Chook lit features feisty female protagonists who love the land, farming, or outback life.’
- ‘It has been a year of emerging genres, and one of the most popular has been chook lit.’
- ‘Chook lit was originally the preserve of the baby-boomer generation, who want to read about women with a little more life under their belt than the twenty-somethings.’
- ‘The former rural radio reporter and farmer is now the queen of chook lit.’
- ‘A uniquely Australian take on romance fiction—chook lit, as it's affectionately known—routinely outsells local popular fiction and crime.’
- ‘She is a pioneer of chook lit—a rural romance genre her publishers say is a red-hot winner.’
- ‘He was amused by a comment from his librarian wife, who described the book she was reading at the weekend as 'chook lit'.’
- ‘Romance and rodeos rule as rural readers turn to chook lit.’
- ‘Chook lit is publishing’s latest phenomenon with rural romances outselling other fiction.’
- ‘For older female readers, there’s chook lit, dealing with broken-down relationships, divorce, and friendships with other women.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.