One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stony meteorite containing small mineral granules (chondrules).
- ‘Carbonaceous chondrites are representative of the early material of the solar system, very primitive material, so it's the closest we get to the stuff from which the solar system evolved.’
- ‘If the impact object was a stony carbonaceous chondrite there would be silicates all over the impact site.’
- ‘My research has largely been in the chemistry of how the particular components of chondrites, very primitive meteorites, actually formed in the solar nebula.’
- ‘Known as the Ningqiang carbonaceous chondrite, the primitive meteorite is a space relic that formed shortly after the solar system's creation.’
- ‘They also make up well over half of the organic compounds in the most common type of meteorites, called carbonaceous chondrites, which have rained down on the Earth along with other cosmic dust ever since the planet formed.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek khondros ‘granule’ + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.