One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting nerve cells in which acetylcholine acts as a neurotransmitter.Contrasted with adrenergic
- ‘The active ingredients in this were alkaloids of belladonna, which we now know had the effect of inhibiting cholinergic neurotransmission and thereby reflex bronchoconstriction.’
- ‘The resulting overstimulation of cholinergic receptors produces the clinical effects shown in the table.’
- ‘Treatments for early, mild Alzheimer's disease, such as donepezil, improve the activity of neurons in the cholinergic system that use acetylcholine to transmit signals.’
- ‘Ketamine also indirectly interacts with a number of cellular receptors including the muscarinic, nicotinic, cholinergic, and opioid receptors.’
- ‘Saliva substitutes or systemic cholinergic drugs may be useful.’
1930s: from choline + Greek ergon ‘work’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.