One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strongly basic compound important in the synthesis and transport of lipids in the body.
Chemical formula: HON(CH₃)₃CH₂CH₂OH
- ‘Betaine is produced in the body by oxidation of choline, another trimethylated, methyl-donating compound.’
- ‘Found in various forms throughout the body, choline, a member of the vitamin B complex family, is involved in the creation of cell membranes.’
- ‘In spinach and sugar beet the enzymes responsible for converting choline into betaine have been characterized, and the corresponding genes cloned and sequenced.’
- ‘Inside our bodies, the B vitamins folate and choline work in a delicate balance.’
- ‘It is the main functional constituent of the natural surfactants, and the body's foremost reservoir of choline, an essential nutrient.’
Mid 19th century: coined in German from Greek kholē ‘bile’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.