One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One of the D vitamins, a sterol essential for the deposition of calcium in bones and formed by the action of sunlight on dehydrocholesterol in the skin.Also called "vitamin D3"
- ‘The most important source of vitamin D for all individuals is the sunlight-driven conversion in skin of 7-dehydrocholesterol to cholecalciferol.’
- ‘The kidney is involved in the first step in metabolism of cholecalciferol to calcidiol, the form in which it is stored, and the liver in the final conversion to the active hormone calcitriol.’
- ‘Vitamin D in the form of cholecalciferol reduces the risk of a first osteoporotic fracture in older people by about a quarter, but only when prescribed at a relatively high dose, say researchers from the United States.’
- ‘All patients received 800 IU of cholecalciferol and 1,000 mg of calcium carbonate.’
- ‘Both groups received cholecalciferol and calcium carbonate oral supplementation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.