One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having or causing difficulty in breathing.‘the whole piazza was choky with tear gas’
- ‘It had only started a half hour before we noticed it, but fluffy ash was floating in the air before I finished mowing, and it was choky being outside.’
- ‘His last words were lost on a choky, gasping noise as Honey felt him being ripped out of her arms as he had once before.’
- ‘The air was choky with a blended smell derived from dust and worn boot leather and spilt essences of hops and healthy, unwashed, sweaty bodies.’
- 1.1 Breathless with emotion.‘‘Nick,’ she said, choky suddenly’
overwhelmed, emotional, moved, affected, struck, speechless, at a loss for words, shaken, disturbedView synonyms
- ‘Mom's voice was choky.’
- ‘She reached out to hold him and her voice was choky.’
- variant spelling of chokey
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.