Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A boy (or girl) who sings in a church or cathedral choir.
- ‘Through her we see her only child grow from healthy baby to choirboy, later retreating for fear of family rejection, and finally enjoying his career and the unconditional love of his parents.’
- ‘Emily Gray, the BBC Radio 2 choirgirl of the year in 2000, releases an album of choral music today which has the potential to become one of the top-selling UK classical CDs in 2002.’
- ‘In 1999 Mr Walsh was suspended after an allegation that he had verbally abused a 10-year-old choirboy during rehearsals.’
- ‘Another time the Provost warned him and another choirboy about eating fish and chips in a main road in Wakefield, so from then on they kept to the side streets.’
- ‘Bryant is certainly no choirboy off the field, but when he's focused on the field he's one of the best in the business.’
- ‘A former gospel choirgirl, Staton cultivated her scratchy moan during her years at Muscle Shoals (1969-73, collected here for the first time on CD) by intentionally singing herself hoarse every night.’
- ‘I wish I could hear it, because Leonard's voice, part choirboy and part laser, would have added another dimension to this work.’
- ‘He is another choirboy and another follower to Jack.’
- ‘Each fractured time signature, every dissonant choirboy harmony, they all point to something that is distinctly Vanderslice.’
- ‘In the meantime, I'm walking around very gingerly, like an aging cowboy or particularly fresh-faced choirboy, because the soles of my feet ache.’
- ‘Since that's the case, there is no need for you to turn me into some sort of choirboy anymore.’
- ‘But my friend Beryl, a huge Aled Jones fan who owns all his albums from celestial choirboy to totem tenor, has applied to Songs of Praise for a ticket to be part of the congregation.’
- ‘Former Bradford Cathedral head choirboy Gareth has also recorded this year's Comic Relief single, a cover of Norman Greenbaum's 1970 hit Spirit in the Sky.’
- ‘Aled Jones came to the late Queen Mother's notice in the early '80s when he was a little Welsh choirboy.’
- ‘Although he was easily intimidated by the other boys, especially by Jack, he did not lack the self-confidence to protest or speak out against the indignities from the boys as the shy former choirboy Simon did.’
- ‘Although it was initially expected to fetch €3m-plus at auction, the one-time choirgirl is believed to have paid closer to €2m for it.’
- ‘What led this former choirboy, Sunday school teacher and London bookseller to such a dramatic and violent end?’
- ‘Like most people, I will always think of Aled Jones as a cherubic 10-year-old choirboy.’
- ‘A NEW YORK choirboy has been arrested for sexually abusing an ageing Roman Catholic priest.’
- ‘‘Wohid Khan, Wohid Khan,’ we said in high, choirboy voices.’
- ‘By his own account, his nephew is no choirboy, he has had his run-ins with the law - at least two court cases are pending.’
- ‘Sophie went on to become head choirgirl at Bradford Grammar School at the same time as famous singer Gareth Gates was head choirboy.’
- ‘Meanwhile 13-year-old choirgirl Hollie Hurn, has written to the Queen asking her to bring peace back to St James's Church.’
- ‘Despite being a Scottish Episcopalian soon-to-be choirgirl, Lara also enjoyed listening to rock music and reading or writing books about anything and everything.’
- ‘The guild also purchased material and made the choirboys new cassocks, in addition to contributing towards the cost of new hymn and prayer books for the congregation.’
- ‘But I usually insist that it has some tune, and that the main performer isn't some overgrown choirboy with a twatty face covered in craters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.