One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A school which is attached to a cathedral or college and specializes in training choirboys and choirgirls.
- ‘None of the young choristers, who attend the Abbey's choir schools, has sung at such a large occasion before.’
- ‘Recognizing his ‘pleasant voice’ and ‘studious diligence’, Georg Reutter, Kapellmeister at St Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna, accepted the young Haydn into his choir school in 1740.’
- ‘This was the culmination of 9 years spent in the harsh régimes of English public education, first at the choir school of All Saints, Margaret Street, London, and after that at Clifton College in Bristol.’
- ‘Among his most notable achievements are developing the choir school at Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris.’
- ‘Born in Toronto, the Provider first burst onto the Quebec scene at the age of nine, via a Q-City Catholic choir school.’
- ‘And he loved it so much that he gave everyone from the choir school a free tour of it, early.’
- ‘Many museums now offer hands-on music sessions and some areas run Saturday morning music clubs or choir schools, where children get together to sing and play simple percussion instruments.’
- ‘Also, the choir school mentioned in this entry is a real school.’
- ‘Its revival during the last decade has led to the opening of choir schools to teach the younger generation their heritage of sacred vocal music.’
- ‘The man who has headed one of Britain's most successful choir schools for 19 years is to take up a new appointment to help to remove financial uncertainty over York Minster.’
- ‘That same year, 1926, John Finley Williamson, music director at the Westminster Presbyterian Church, Dayton, Ohio, began a choir school and named it for his church.’
- ‘He defended sacred art, reformed the Roman liturgy, and perhaps established a choir school.’
- ‘I wasn't there (this is such a bad time of year for anything other than university coursework) but, less than ten minutes ago, I was given a real treat: the choir school was reported on on the TV news.’
- ‘The Dean announced that it was to be removed to the old choir school adjoining the south transept of the Minster and the Archbishop's Registry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.