One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small Chinese cabbage of a variety with mild-tasting leaves and small edible yellow flowers.
Brassica rapa variety parachinensis, family Cruciferae
- ‘I have had great success with growing all these salad leaves in the Thames Valley through the winter, except choy sum and greek cress which are less reliable.’
- ‘Besides sampling specialities like beef choi sum and sha cha chicken, guests were also treated to a colourful lion dance.’
- ‘The heavy sauce contrasted badly with the choi sum, which tasted only of water.’
- ‘There was so much grit in the choi sum that if it was washed in the kitchen then it was washed in sand.’
- ‘The choy sum were cooked till soft in a savoury sauce that has hints of orange peel in it.’
Chinese ( Cantonese dialect), literally ‘vegetable heart’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.