Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A fungal disease affecting field and broad beans, characterized by dark brown spots on all parts of the plant.
- ‘A rapid in-vitro assay has also been developed for screening faba beans for resistance to chocolate spot disease.’
- ‘Folicur is recommended for chocolate spot and rust.’
- ‘The focus here is on chocolate spot of Vicia beans caused by both B. fabae and B. cinerea.’
- ‘The chocolate spot pathogen causes small, circular brown spots of dead tissue on the leaves.’
- ‘The rapid development of chocolate spot is favoured by wet humid weather.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.