Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lower plant of the division "Chlorophyta" , which comprises the green algae.
- ‘The upstream and freshwater sections of these rivers are dominated by an assemblage of chlorophytes, diatoms, and cyanoprokaryotes (cyanobacteria).’
- ‘For example, diatoms generally have a lower phosphorus requirement than chlorophytes.’
- ‘For example, replacement of diatoms with chlorophytes will alter cycling of silica because diatoms require silica and chlorophytes do not.’
- ‘The plastids of rhodophytes, chlorophytes, and glaucophytes are surrounded by two membranes and probably directly derived from a cyanobacterial ancestor and are thus called primary plastids.’
- ‘In general, diatoms and chlorophytes had much higher biovolume than cyanobacteria and chrysophytes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.