One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tranquillizer of the benzodiazepine group, used chiefly to treat anxiety and alcoholism.Also called Librium (a trademark)
- ‘The long elimination half-life benzodiazepines included diazepam, chlordiazepoxide, clorazepate and flurazepam.’
- ‘Generally, a longer-acting benzodiazepine such as chlordiazepoxide is used, and the initial dosage is titrated downward according to blood pressure elevation, pulse rate, temperature and psychotic symptoms.’
- ‘Long-acting benzodiazepines such as chlordiazepoxide and diazepam are preferred because they are the most effective in preventing alcohol withdrawal seizures and delirium.’
- ‘The group of drugs known as benzodiazepines includes alprazolam, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam, and lorazepam (Ativan).’
- ‘Psychotropic drugs on the Beers list were the most commonly prescribed drugs of concern, including amitriptyline, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam and doxepin.’
1960s: from chlor- + diazo + epoxide.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.