Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of antiseptics and disinfectants which are sulphonamide derivatives containing chlorine bonded to nitrogen.‘compounds such as chloramines’[mass noun] ‘chloramine is sometimes found in tap water’
- ‘In Washington, the chloramines also caused lead to leach out of service lines, water meters, plumbing with lead solder and brass faucets that contain lead.’
- ‘Many municipal water companies add chloramine (a combination of these chemicals), which is very toxic to fish.’
- ‘Find out from your water supply co if both chlorine and chloramines are added.’
- ‘Before you add fish, test city water for chlorine dioxide and chloramine, both of which can be treated with chemicals purchased at a nursery or pet shop.’
- ‘This nascent bleach can also react with primary or secondary amines to form longer lasting, antimicrobial chloramines.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.