Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of antiseptics and disinfectants which are sulphonamide derivatives containing chlorine bonded to nitrogen.‘compounds such as chloramines’mass noun ‘chloramine is sometimes found in tap water’
- ‘Find out from your water supply co if both chlorine and chloramines are added.’
- ‘Many municipal water companies add chloramine (a combination of these chemicals), which is very toxic to fish.’
- ‘Before you add fish, test city water for chlorine dioxide and chloramine, both of which can be treated with chemicals purchased at a nursery or pet shop.’
- ‘In Washington, the chloramines also caused lead to leach out of service lines, water meters, plumbing with lead solder and brass faucets that contain lead.’
- ‘This nascent bleach can also react with primary or secondary amines to form longer lasting, antimicrobial chloramines.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.