Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(during the era of racial segregation in parts of the US) a network of clubs, theatres, and other venues where black entertainers were able to perform.
- ‘It's almost like a white chitlin circuit of underground rap music.’
- ‘During America's segregationist years, the chitlin circuit - cheap juke joints and diners - was the only place many black musicians could get work.’
- ‘He was already well on his way to becoming the first black artist to crash out of the career-limiting "chitlin circuit" of black night clubs and theaters.’
- ‘As Patti LaBelle and the Blue Belles, the group slugged it out on the chitlins circuit and later opened for the Who and toured with the Rolling Stones.’
- ‘There was that small-town camaraderie, especially on the chitlin circuit in the South.’
From chitlins, a southern US dialect form of chitterlings (a food stereotypically associated with black people and poor southerners).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.