One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(during the era of racial segregation in parts of the US) a network of clubs, theatres, and other venues where black entertainers were able to perform.
- ‘As Patti LaBelle and the Blue Belles, the group slugged it out on the chitlins circuit and later opened for the Who and toured with the Rolling Stones.’
- ‘It's almost like a white chitlin circuit of underground rap music.’
- ‘He was already well on his way to becoming the first black artist to crash out of the career-limiting "chitlin circuit" of black night clubs and theaters.’
- ‘There was that small-town camaraderie, especially on the chitlin circuit in the South.’
- ‘During America's segregationist years, the chitlin circuit - cheap juke joints and diners - was the only place many black musicians could get work.’
From chitlins, a southern US dialect form of chitterlings (a food stereotypically associated with black people and poor southerners).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.