Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of mammals that comprises the bats.
- ‘All bats belong to the order Chiroptera, meaning ‘hand-wing.’’
- ‘The traditional subdivision of the Chiroptera into megabats and microbats may not accurately reflect evolutionary history.’
- ‘Let's investigate the origin and evolution of flight in our representative taxa: the Pterosauria, Aves, and Chiroptera (bats).’
- ‘Depending on the rodent species considered, however, some comparisons of Rodentia versus Cetacea and Chiroptera did not support rate differences.’
- ‘Maps for the Insectivora, Chiroptera, and Cetacea are not included in this chapter.’
Modern Latin (plural), from chiro- ‘hand’ + Greek pteron wing.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.