Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of mammals that comprises the bats.
- ‘The traditional subdivision of the Chiroptera into megabats and microbats may not accurately reflect evolutionary history.’
- ‘Depending on the rodent species considered, however, some comparisons of Rodentia versus Cetacea and Chiroptera did not support rate differences.’
- ‘Maps for the Insectivora, Chiroptera, and Cetacea are not included in this chapter.’
- ‘Let's investigate the origin and evolution of flight in our representative taxa: the Pterosauria, Aves, and Chiroptera (bats).’
- ‘All bats belong to the order Chiroptera, meaning ‘hand-wing.’’
Modern Latin (plural), from chiro- ‘hand’ + Greek pteron wing.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.