One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An order of mammals that comprises the bats.
- ‘All bats belong to the order Chiroptera, meaning ‘hand-wing.’’
- ‘Let's investigate the origin and evolution of flight in our representative taxa: the Pterosauria, Aves, and Chiroptera (bats).’
- ‘The traditional subdivision of the Chiroptera into megabats and microbats may not accurately reflect evolutionary history.’
- ‘Maps for the Insectivora, Chiroptera, and Cetacea are not included in this chapter.’
- ‘Depending on the rodent species considered, however, some comparisons of Rodentia versus Cetacea and Chiroptera did not support rate differences.’
Modern Latin (plural), from chiro- ‘hand’ + Greek pteron ‘wing’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.