Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of complementary medicine based on the diagnosis and manipulative treatment of misalignments of the joints, especially those of the spinal column, which are believed to cause other disorders by affecting the nerves, muscles, and organs.
- ‘The first ones he wrote were for massage therapy and chiropractic.’
- ‘Many of their clients, like Ewald himself, had tried other traditional avenues of medical and chiropractic treatment - without success.’
- ‘Marma therapy predates similar practices like acupuncture, acupressure, reiki and chiropractic.’
- ‘The fact is that the vast majority of those who use alternative medicine are having fairly mainstream therapies like massage and chiropractic.’
- ‘Acupuncture or chiropractic treatments may help your headaches.’
- ‘The most serious potential risks of chiropractic and osteopathy are spinal cord injury or stroke after manipulation of the neck.’
- ‘Not happy to take anything lying down, I began extensive therapy, going alternatively for acupuncture and chiropractic treatments.’
- ‘It was the legislative frameworks for the complementary therapists in osteopathy and chiropractic which initiated the new approach.’
- ‘We prefer the view taken by Dr. Brown to that of Dr. Stick - that the assertion that chiropractic strengthens the immune system is not a fact, but a contention.’
- ‘Other useful complementary treatments include acupuncture, chiropractic, yoga and hypnosis.’
- ‘Physical modalities, including yoga, massage, biofeedback, acupuncture, and chiropractic can also be of help.’
- ‘Finding appropriate placebos or shams for treatments such as acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy, or complex herbal mixtures is challenging.’
- ‘Other forms of complementary therapy include acupuncture and chiropractic care.’
- ‘Holistic healing modalities include acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathy, and if indicated, conventional medications and surgery.’
- ‘It was the beginning of a new phase in chiropractic and complementary healthcare!’
- ‘The holistic approach includes procedures such as acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathy, and herbalogy.’
- ‘These include physiotherapy, chiropractic, massage and Pilates.’
- ‘Other health care-related professions incorporate massage, including nursing, physical therapy, chiropractic, and osteopathy.’
- ‘The options include physiotherapy, massage, yoga, chiropractic, acupuncture and work on improving posture.’
- ‘I've been careful to take care of my body with massages and chiropractic sessions and treatment and all types of things.’
Late 19th century: from chiro- ‘hand’ + Greek praktikos ‘practical’, from prattein ‘do’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.