Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is supposedly able to predict a person's future by interpreting the lines on the palms of their hands.
clairvoyant, crystal gazer, psychic, prophet, forecaster of the future, seer, oracle, soothsayer, prognosticator, prophesier, augur, diviner, sibylView synonyms
- ‘Doctor Sax is the caped fighter against these evils (chiromancer, alchemist of the night, and friend of the children).’
- ‘In October 1656, Morin was told by a chiromancer that the following month would be fatal to him.’
- ‘A chiromancer looked at the forehead and hand of the boy, and predicted that ‘in short time he would make extraordinary proficience in the mercurial arts'.’
- ‘This chiromancer, when he understood the king's wish, took hold of his hand and examined with the greatest care all the lines he could trace there.’
- ‘He claims that Thomas Becket consulted a chiromancer before setting out on an expedition against the inhabitants of North.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.