One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is supposedly able to predict a person's future by interpreting the lines on the palms of their hands.
clairvoyant, crystal gazer, psychic, prophet, forecaster of the future, seer, oracle, soothsayer, prognosticator, prophesier, augur, diviner, sibylView synonyms
- ‘Doctor Sax is the caped fighter against these evils (chiromancer, alchemist of the night, and friend of the children).’
- ‘This chiromancer, when he understood the king's wish, took hold of his hand and examined with the greatest care all the lines he could trace there.’
- ‘In October 1656, Morin was told by a chiromancer that the following month would be fatal to him.’
- ‘A chiromancer looked at the forehead and hand of the boy, and predicted that ‘in short time he would make extraordinary proficience in the mercurial arts'.’
- ‘He claims that Thomas Becket consulted a chiromancer before setting out on an expedition against the inhabitants of North.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.