One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The supposed art of judging a person's character by examining the lines and other features of the hand.
fortune telling, palm-reading, clairvoyancy, chiromancyView synonyms
- ‘Chirognomy aims to comprehend the universe by starting with the smallest element — man.’
- ‘He was so enamored of chirognomy that he had casts made of his and his wife's hands, and even talked of making a collection of those of his friends.’
- ‘Chirognomy has a history rooted in ancient philosophy and a theory of both cosmic and personal relationships.’
- ‘One writer on the subject of chirognomy claims to have given private lessons in the study of the hand to the heads of 275 business establishments in New York.’
- ‘Chirognomy has no equal among the so-called occult sciences.’
Mid 19th century: from chiro-, after physiognomy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.