One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The supposed art of judging a person's character by examining the lines and other features of the hand.
fortune telling, palm-reading, clairvoyancy, chiromancyView synonyms
- ‘Chirognomy has no equal among the so-called occult sciences.’
- ‘Chirognomy has a history rooted in ancient philosophy and a theory of both cosmic and personal relationships.’
- ‘He was so enamored of chirognomy that he had casts made of his and his wife's hands, and even talked of making a collection of those of his friends.’
- ‘Chirognomy aims to comprehend the universe by starting with the smallest element — man.’
- ‘One writer on the subject of chirognomy claims to have given private lessons in the study of the hand to the heads of 275 business establishments in New York.’
Mid 19th century: from chiro-, after physiognomy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.