One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I submit to you that Jeanotte, a Chippewa who has worked at UND for 32 years, is far more qualified to weigh in on this matter than the yahoo who hosts your local sports call-in radio show.’
- ‘Voters also will decide on a Chippewa Indian proposal that would bring a $350-million casino with 2,500 slot machines and 90 table games to the city.’
- ‘The liver was good to eat and the intestines were so fat that the Chippewa cleaned them and fried them crisp.’
- ‘There is no standard spelling in English, and variations include: Ojibwa, Ojibway, Chippewa and Chippeway.’
- ‘The roughly 5,000 people who live there are members of the Ojibwe Tribe, also known as the Chippewa.’
- ‘And Jeff Weise, despite his German-sounding name, was very keen to preserve the racial purity of the Chippewa.’
- ‘These traits relate them to the southern Ojibwa or Chippewa.’
- ‘Supposedly some of the themes are taken from the Iroquois, Chippewa, and Iowa tribes, but this is anything but obvious to me.’
- ‘That so many Chippewa, Choctaw, Laguna, Navajo, Cherokee, Modoc, Creek, and countless other clans and communities produce important poets is not a fluke.’
- ‘Yet still others, like Gertrude LaRance of the Little Shell band of the Chippewa, had nothing but fond memories of their years at Fort Shaw.’
- ‘Located a few miles from the Canadian border, the Turtle Mountain campus sits on a Chippewa Indian reservation in an area situated far from the population centers of the American Midwest.’
- ‘The history of the Pequots, like the history of the Chippewa that Erdrich's novels relate, cannot be told as a single story along clean lines.’
- ‘Louise Erdrich's 1989 best seller Tracks weaves together the stories of several members of the Chippewa tribe who lived in North Dakota between 1912 and 1924.’
- ‘One of my friends was a Chippewa Indian kid from northern Michigan.’
- ‘The Chippewa and Choctaw tribe member and founder of the ‘Famous Dave's’ family restaurant chain openly shared his struggles with alcoholism and school.’
- ‘Who knows what life was like among, say, the Chippewa in the unimaginable lands to the west at that time, never mind the multitudinous kingdoms of the east.’
- ‘For example, many who are not Native American now want to be a Lumbee or a Chippewa so they can share in casino profits.’
- ‘On the Chippewa reservation or at a Coeur d' Alene powwow, their centrality becomes suspect.’
- ‘On a recent trip, we held a conference at the Vineyard Church in Grand Rapids and were able to connect with of the local Chippewa, Ottawa, and Pottawatomic people there.’
- ‘For example, he demonstrates that Sioux migrants tended to move to Chicago in family groups while Chippewa people were younger, single, and more often female.’
Alteration of Ojibwa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.