One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘These traits relate them to the southern Ojibwa or Chippewa.’
- ‘For example, he demonstrates that Sioux migrants tended to move to Chicago in family groups while Chippewa people were younger, single, and more often female.’
- ‘Louise Erdrich's 1989 best seller Tracks weaves together the stories of several members of the Chippewa tribe who lived in North Dakota between 1912 and 1924.’
- ‘Located a few miles from the Canadian border, the Turtle Mountain campus sits on a Chippewa Indian reservation in an area situated far from the population centers of the American Midwest.’
- ‘The roughly 5,000 people who live there are members of the Ojibwe Tribe, also known as the Chippewa.’
- ‘On the Chippewa reservation or at a Coeur d' Alene powwow, their centrality becomes suspect.’
- ‘On a recent trip, we held a conference at the Vineyard Church in Grand Rapids and were able to connect with of the local Chippewa, Ottawa, and Pottawatomic people there.’
- ‘Voters also will decide on a Chippewa Indian proposal that would bring a $350-million casino with 2,500 slot machines and 90 table games to the city.’
- ‘The history of the Pequots, like the history of the Chippewa that Erdrich's novels relate, cannot be told as a single story along clean lines.’
- ‘Yet still others, like Gertrude LaRance of the Little Shell band of the Chippewa, had nothing but fond memories of their years at Fort Shaw.’
- ‘And Jeff Weise, despite his German-sounding name, was very keen to preserve the racial purity of the Chippewa.’
- ‘I submit to you that Jeanotte, a Chippewa who has worked at UND for 32 years, is far more qualified to weigh in on this matter than the yahoo who hosts your local sports call-in radio show.’
- ‘Who knows what life was like among, say, the Chippewa in the unimaginable lands to the west at that time, never mind the multitudinous kingdoms of the east.’
- ‘The Chippewa and Choctaw tribe member and founder of the ‘Famous Dave's’ family restaurant chain openly shared his struggles with alcoholism and school.’
- ‘There is no standard spelling in English, and variations include: Ojibwa, Ojibway, Chippewa and Chippeway.’
- ‘That so many Chippewa, Choctaw, Laguna, Navajo, Cherokee, Modoc, Creek, and countless other clans and communities produce important poets is not a fluke.’
- ‘The liver was good to eat and the intestines were so fat that the Chippewa cleaned them and fried them crisp.’
- ‘One of my friends was a Chippewa Indian kid from northern Michigan.’
- ‘Supposedly some of the themes are taken from the Iroquois, Chippewa, and Iowa tribes, but this is anything but obvious to me.’
- ‘For example, many who are not Native American now want to be a Lumbee or a Chippewa so they can share in casino profits.’
Alteration of Ojibwa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.