One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A smoked hot chilli pepper used in Mexican cooking.
- ‘The oysters came with a chipotle rémoulade that sounded exciting but tasted like wan, pink mayonnaise.’
- ‘In a blender, combine 2 tablespoons of the canned chipotles ' sauce, 1 cup catsup, and 1 chipotle chili; whirl smooth.’
- ‘The garbage man has eaten rattlesnake in Arizona, horse meat in Curaçao, and several helpings of broiled iguana in New Mexico, flavored, he recalls, with a nice chipotle sauce.’
- ‘After feverishly devouring Sandoval's mussels, everyone at the table passed around the remaining chipotle broth with tomato and cilantro, guzzling it like soup.’
- ‘The flavors are the same, though: chipotles, orange, lime, cumin and cilantro.’
- ‘Top each with shredded lettuce, avocado, cucumber, tomato and cilantro leaves, then add a grilled scallion and a dollop of the chipotle sour cream.’
- ‘It's not unusual to overhear a plaintive ‘what exactly is a chipotle?’’
- ‘For instance, dips may contain chiles other than the familiar jalapeno, such as the chipotle (a smoked jalapeno) or habenero type, or roasted vegetables such as onion, garlic or tomato.’
- ‘To that end, the generous $3 bowlful of marinated chickpeas is a must: ringing with fruity olive oil, garlic, lime and a subtle chipotle heat.’
- ‘Season with salt, pepper and additional chipotles, if desired.’
- ‘Strips of steak sautéed with onions, peppers and corn enjoy their smoky-sweet chipotle sauce that burns and lingers.’
- ‘If he had taste buds, the chipotles would have been left out of the sweet potatoes.’
- ‘Add the celery, apple cider, veal stock, tomatoes, and chipotle peppers.’
- ‘Large dried and smoked Jalapeños, called chipotles, are wrinkled and warm brown in colour.’
- ‘Picky Penny proceeded to order the chipotle chicken wrap with no onions, no peppers, light on the shredded spinach, cheddar instead of pepper jack, and the chipolte dressing on the side.’
- ‘Although the tempura-battered shellfish involved are popcorn-size chunks, they taste important in their spicy chipotle sauce.’
- ‘Add sour cream flavored to taste with more of the canned chipotle chili, minced or mashed.’
- ‘Find chipotle chili powder in the spice section of the grocery store.’
- ‘Purée anchos in a blender along with tomatoes (including juice), chipotles in adobo, cilantro, remaining 2 whole garlic cloves, and remaining 1/2 tablespoon salt until smooth.’
- ‘The current offering includes cocktail onions and regular olives as well as ones stuffed with blue cheese, chipotle peppers, anchovies and calamari.’
Mexican Spanish, from Nahuatl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.