One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) the Indian gazelle, which occurs from Iran to central India.
Gazella bennettii, family Bovidae
- ‘A Jodhpur Sessions Court has stayed the one-year jail sentence against the Bollywood actor in the chinkara hunting case.’
- ‘The existence of chinkara, flying fox, wolf, clawless otter, leopard cat and long-tailed tree mouse is doubtful, says the report.’
- ‘The chinkara scattered into the scrub as we approached but the blackbuck kept appearing and reappearing, leaping across our path as we drove through the desert.’
- ‘The CJM's court had convicted him for the killing of two chinkara deer on the night of September 26-27, 1998 at Bhavad village while acquitting seven others.’
- ‘The grasslands in the park consist of chinkara (the Indian gazelle), nilgai (the blue bull), chausingha (the four-horned antelope) and wild boar.’
Mid 19th century: from Hindi cikārā, from Sanskrit chikkāra.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.