Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- former term for kiwi fruit
- ‘The kiwi fruit, originally known as the Chinese gooseberry, was renamed to reflect its connection with New Zealand.’
- ‘Kiwifruit used to be known as Chinese gooseberries.’
- ‘I read in trade magazines just the other day that the Chinese - from whence kiwi-fruit came; it was originally the Chinese gooseberry - are getting into the market in a big way themselves.’
- ‘Kiwifruit, also known as Chinese gooseberry, can be grown just about anywhere in North America.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.