Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- former term for kiwi fruit
- ‘The kiwi fruit, originally known as the Chinese gooseberry, was renamed to reflect its connection with New Zealand.’
- ‘Kiwifruit, also known as Chinese gooseberry, can be grown just about anywhere in North America.’
- ‘Kiwifruit used to be known as Chinese gooseberries.’
- ‘I read in trade magazines just the other day that the Chinese - from whence kiwi-fruit came; it was originally the Chinese gooseberry - are getting into the market in a big way themselves.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.