One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An act of placing both hands on a person's arm and then twisting it to produce a burning sensation.
- ‘And as a final touch - the emotional equivalent of a Chinese burn, just to finish you off good and proper - there's a children's choir in there as well, bleating away about ‘listening’ as well as ‘hearing’.’
- ‘Swift negotiation and the application of a Chinese burn to the Manager's wrist persuaded him to increase the bar staff quota by 100%.’
- ‘The arm-twisting, begging, pleading and bribery will have ceased temporarily and even Michael will have stopped giving his colleagues Chinese burns in a bid to force them to vote for him… or else.’
- ‘Anyone who disagrees with me is guilty of cheap demagoguery and will get what's coming when I'm doling out the wedgies and the Chinese burns.’
- ‘Both it and the play are like a playground Chinese burn - they give you pain and pleasure at the same time.’
- ‘It's amazing what the odd threat and the swift application of a judicious Chinese burn will do.’
- ‘In the confusion I reached for my harpoon but she grasped my arm in a deadly Chinese burn, while shrieking in a demonic voice, ‘NOTHING COMES BETWEEN BRAUNSTEIN AND HER PRECIOUS CANDY!’’
- ‘She makes it sound like these terrible fierce dykes gave her Chinese burns every time she got the gender wrong.’
- ‘He should have called him a fat tub of dung and given him a Chinese burn, while he was there, having flown all that way.’
- ‘I begin practising punches and blocks with Tim, whose hairy arms give me Chinese burns.’
- ‘A second hello would lead to a Chinese burn; a third to a severe beating with a slide-rule; a fourth to a public beheading; and a fifth to a written warning, although I hope it would never come to that.’
- ‘The response was to pick him up and throw him on the settee and for good measure give him a Chinese burn.’
- ‘There's hair pulling, tickling, stomping on toes, Chinese burns, graffiting of limbs with highlighters, and very nasty insults.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.