One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white-flowered South African lily.
- ‘A group of chincherinchees makes an attractive display.’
- ‘One of the common names of this flower is chincherinchees.’
- ‘The giant chincherinchee is an attractive, easily cultivated garden plant and produces eye-catching, long-lasting flowers that are very suitable for as cut flowers.’
- ‘The South Africans know them as ‘tjenkenrientjee’ which is where the odd English name chincherinchee comes from.’
- ‘During the war it became an annual habit to travel to a hill just outside the village to pick chincherinchees or snowdrops as they were known.’
Early 20th century: imitative of the squeaky sound made by rubbing its stalks together.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.