One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A great ape with large ears, mainly black coloration, and lighter skin on the face, native to the forests of west and central Africa. Chimpanzees show advanced behaviour such as the making and using of tools.
Genus Pan, family Pongidae: the common chimpanzee (P. troglodytes) and the bonobo
- ‘The Mercury flights lifted two rhesus monkeys, two chimpanzees, and six men into space.’
- ‘Could some birds really be as intelligent as primates such as chimpanzees or bonobos?’
- ‘The apes nest on the ground like gorillas but have a diet and features characteristic of chimpanzees.’
- ‘What is the most human-like behaviour you saw in chimpanzees?’
- ‘A 1996 case was even traced to hunters who skinned and chopped a chimpanzee found dead in the forest.’
- ‘The apes are most likely a group of giant chimpanzees that display gorilla-like behavior.’
- ‘Protected species such as elephants, gorillas and chimpanzees are prized, but illegal, pieces of meat.’
- ‘Gorillas practice infanticide and chimpanzees hunt and torture baboons.’
- ‘We'll start with lower ones, and then work up to our closest relatives, the chimpanzee and bonobo.’
- ‘His favorite species for this work are chimpanzees, bonobos, and capuchin monkeys.’
- ‘No African fossil has ever been found that is related to chimpanzees or gorillas.’
- ‘The apes are a category of primates represented in Africa by gorilla, chimpanzees and bonobo.’
- ‘Her friendly demeanor is appreciated by all, especially by the monkeys, chimpanzees and even the gorilla.’
- ‘The argument is at its most powerful when it comes to the great apes chimpanzees, gorillas and orang-utans.’
- ‘Wild chimpanzees and bonobos can be skilled at selecting tools for particular jobs.’
- ‘The situation is most dire for primates such as bonobos, chimpanzees and gorillas.’
- ‘Critics argue that, as a result, young chimps never learn how to be chimpanzees.’
- ‘Orangutans and bonobos will be the first to go, then gorillas, and finally chimpanzees.’
- ‘Humans and gorillas are sister taxa and are more closely related to one another than either is to chimpanzees or baboons.’
- ‘The net effect is that hunting bonobos, chimpanzees, and gorillas has now become big business.’
Mid 18th century: from French chimpanzé, from Kikongo.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.